What to Eat And Drink After Your BoxFit Workouts
What should I eat after I workout? It’s a question we get asked a lot here at BoxFit.
You need to eat after a workout. Eating after a workout is all about replacing the calories you used up. Firstly, it's important to replenish the energy that has been depleted during your exercise. Second, eating protein after a workout is a must for speedy muscle recovery, particularly after your Boxfit training session.
When you don’t eat after a workout you can end up fatigued and battling low blood sugar. You're also restricting your body's repair process. If you routinely skip eating after a workout it will be harder to reach your fitness goals. Here’s what I recommend after a workout.
1. Rehydrate ASAP.
Replenishing the fluids you lost while sweating as soon as you can is even more important than eating right away. So drink a glass of water once you finish your session.
2. Make sure to eat something soon.
Especially if you just worked out really hard, your body has just used up the energy it needs to function at max capacity. If you aren't able to eat a full meal right away, have a snack after your training, then a full meal a few hours later.
3. Refuel with carbs and protein.
Our recommendation for your post-workout meal is for it to be high in complex carbohydrates that break down slowly and are loaded with healthy protein.
Complex carbohydrates include:
- Brown rice
- Whole wheat bread
Healthy proteins include:
Here are a few post-workout snack and meal ideas I recommend:
- Snack: 1 cup of chocolate milk
- Snack: 1 slice of whole wheat toast with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and ½ sliced banana
- Snack: 2 crackers with a tablespoon of peanut butter
- Snack: 1 to 2 hard-boiled eggs with a slice of whole wheat toast
- Meal: A whole wheat pita stuffed with grilled veggies and 2 tablespoons hummus
- Meal: A protein-rich green smoothie
- Meal: A veggie omelette with avocado and ½ cup of roasted potatoes
- Meal: Steamed fish with a baked sweet potato and sautéed spinach
Remember: These pre- and post-workout snack ideas are only guidelines. The beauty of food and nutrition is that everyone's body is different and will have specific needs and preferences.
Enjoy your workout!